From: Ming-Tuo ZHOU [mailto:mingtuo@nict.com.sg]
Sent: Thu 4/21/2011 6:20 PM
To: STDS-802-16@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [STDS-802-16] [802.16n][DC] Discussion on definition of HR-MS DC and Forwarding to Network

Dear 16n participants,

I'd like to trigger discussion of definition of HR-MS direct communication and HR-MS forwarding to network, since from many discussions it seems there are some confusion regarding them. In my opinion, it is necessary to have a clear common understanding of these two functions for development of technical details in a more smooth way. Anyone is welcome to bring his/her understanding of these two functions by replying this email. I hope after several rounds of email discussion, we can achieve some consensus regarding these two functions.

The discussion may be started by answering follow questions:

1. what is HR-MS direct communication (DC)?

Haiguang: HR-MS direct communication means, the two HR-MSs involved in the communication
          are the producer and consumer of the data packets. That is, the source HR-MS
          pass the data packet down from upper layer to MAC and the destination HR-MS
          pass the packet to upper layer from MAC after receiving from the air.

          Clarification: the producer and consumer here are from the view of MAC. It does
          not mean the packet is originated from the source HR-MS and terminated at the
          destination HR-MS.

2. what is HR-MS forwarding to network (FTN)?

Haiguang: HR-MS forwarding means the forwarding HR-MS either forwards the data packet to
          HR-BS or to the HR-MSs that access the network via the forwarding HR-MS.

          The forwarded packet will not be passed to upper layer. Instead, it is forwarded to
          next hop at MAC layer.

3. what's difference between HR-MS DC, HR-MS FTN, and HR relay/local forwarding?

Haiguang: The differences are:
          * For HR-MS DC, at the source HR-MS, the data packets are from upper layer and are passed
            to upper layer protocol at the destination HR-MS.
          * For HR-MS FTN, the data packet is forwarded to next hop at MAC layer. The data packets are
            not handled by upper layer protocol. HR-MS who forwards data packet is still an HR-MS. It
            only has a very simple relay function and can only support very few nodes, one or two.

            From other HR-MSs' view, HR-MS performing the relay function is still an HR-MS.

            HR relay is a kind of infrastructure station designed for the purpose of relay. It is complex
            and like a BS. It is designed to support many MS in network access.

          * Local forwarding means the infrastructure station between MS and BS forwards data packets
            from downstream HR-station to destination HR-MS without passing it to upstream infrastructure
            stations.

            A general case is a HR-RS forwards the data packets from one of its HR-MS (source) to another
            HR-MS which is the destination.

If you have more questions that may help to understand these two functions, please also bring them here.

Finally, the following is expected to be made:

[Consensus:                                          ]

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Ming-Tuo Zhou

16n DC RG co-chair