RE: [RPRWG] Phy Layer question

Regarding the issue of RPR MAC being phy agnostic we voted and it was
approved. Nevertheless the RPR standard will have to deal with some issues
that are phy dependent:

- Are we going to rely only on RPR alarms to perform protection switch ? My
position here is that we have to take into consideration layer 1 alarms
also, then:
- Which layer 1 alarms are the ones that trigger the protection mechanism.
For example SONET phys can monitor for LOS, LOF, AIS (Line and Path), TIM
(Section and Path), ... alarms, while GE phys monitor RxLOS. GR-253 defines
that protection should be performed for LOS, LOF, AIS-L.
- SONET APS uses also BER monitoring as a trigger to switch. Is RPR going to
have a BER monitoring capability to provide a similar behavior ?.
- Is RPR going to support all the SONET APS stack (Lockout, Forced, SF, SD,
Manual, Exercise) ?
- As Mike noted, the user should decide which protection mechanism should be
allowed first, this means that RPR should allow enough flexibility in the
protection timers to cope with all the protection mechanisms provided by
layer 1 phys that we consider candidates for RPR.

I recommend that the RPR WG come up with a list of "preferred" phys for RPR
(My opinion: SONET/SDH and GE) and define their interface with RPR in some
detail, and have a general statement for other phys.

Leon