Re: [RPRWG] More comments on preemption

William:

Maybe I'm missing something here, please clarify:

- At 1G/2.5G/10G, it takes just a few microseconds to send an entire packet
(even at the max length).

- If a high-priority packet needs to go, it needs to go; and the low-priority
packet will simply be sent to the system for further scheduling. Even if a
low-priority packet is currently being transmitted, we can let the low-priority
transmission complete, and send the high-priority packet following completion of
this transmission.

- We must keep in mind that it is the *application* that needs strict timing.
Unless we are providing transport for SONET/SDH frames or high-precision TDM
services over RPR, I can't think of applications that require this precision.
Certainly it cannot be G.729 VoIP stuff, because RPR delay is way within its
limits. Maybe I don't know of applications that need this. My contention is that
at the link speeds we are talking about, packet transmission times come well
within limits to satisfy any application (other than SONET/SDH and pure TDM -
and I think these are not part of RPR charter anyway, someone needing this
service will not be counting on RPR to deliver these).

- You rightly said that proper framing needs to be defined before pre-emption
can be meaningful. Multiple fragments from multiple packets may be sitting at a
node, needing reassemblies. Maybe we need sequence #s, require a system to have
extensive buffers and reassembly logic (I can't imagine these being part of MAC,
because we are looking at many fragments of large packets). These fragments
can't be delivered to next node without a proper MAC header (copied from the
first fragment).

- It is much simpler for a node to negotiate MTU size using its L3 utilities (on
networks where timings are that critical) than go through this trouble, in my
view.

What do you think?

-Pankaj