From: owner-stds-802-17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-stds-802-17@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Vish Nandlall
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 1:06 PM
To: 'stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx'
Subject: [RPRWG] RPR and WDM topology discovery

In the context of an DWDM RPR implementing optical bypass, would there be a requirement for a dedicated supervisory channel for topology discovery (i.e. if both neighbors of an RPR node add/drop a different wavelength then there is no in-band mechanism for detecting physical adjacencies) - or will RPR only connect as a client to an existing DWDM network and rely on whatever existing transport mechanism is in place ?

Regards,

Vish Nandlall

Nortel Networks

ESN 393-1350