[RPRWG] Gandalf - question on Framing

Question for Gandalf editors:

I would like some understanding on benefits and rationale behind putting
RPR header bytes in _front_ of Ethernet DA/SA fields in the Gandalf
proposal. If an RPR header is put in using an Ethertype life would be
much simpler, and we'd be able to use existing systems to test/monitor
RPR packets. I don't know why header bytes are put in this way in the
Gandalf proposal. For sure, a different MAC doesn't have to have an
unusual format unless there was some benefit in doing so.

Since the header scheme is essentially the SRP scheme, could the Gandalf
editors consult original authors about the intent of doing so and then
reply.

Being able to look at RI, TTL, etc. very early ahead of MAC addresses
isn't a valid reason since we're only talking about difference of a few
bytes.

In general, I'd like RPR WGers to start discussing different elements in
different proposals so we can make informed choices on different issues
at the January meeting.

Regards,
Pankaj