Re: [RPRWG] Why is RPR better as layer 2 technology than ATM

Frederick, I believe there is at least one additional fundamental benefit of
RPR vs ATM for layer 2 that is missing from your summary.  RPR is frame
based, and is far more efficient for transfer of frames than ATM.  Since
projections indicate an exponential growth of frame based traffic on MANs,
and only a linear increase of voice / circuit based traffic, it is critical
to have the next generation technology optimized to carry this frame based
traffic.

With that decision made, a fallout benefit is that RPR is a much simpler
technology to manage than ATM.

I am sure that many other benefits could be listed.  I will leave it to
others to point out their favorite benefits.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
Chair, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 208 978-1187