RE: [RPRWG] 802.17 MAC Ring Selection Mechanism

Title: RE: [RPRWG] 802.17 MAC Ring Selection Mechanism
Further comments on ringlet selection

Ringlet selection, in the context of bridging, only applies to the spacial reuse case. In promiscuous case, the ringlet selection does not apply (protection algorithm may change the ringlet but should be discussed separately)

Regarding the referenced MAC/station database. It should be noted that the 802.17 MAC is essentially a two ports device. In other technologies (MPLS or Ethernet), those two ports will be modelled as two diffferent router/bridge ports. The forwarding rules will be governed by the bridge/router database. This is how the spacial reuse is to be achieved.

In RPR, the forwarding has rules to itself. Hence there are two options in order to achieve spacial reuse:

1. Forward the frames between those two ports (on the same RPR MAC) by consulting the MAC/station database on a per frame/packet bases on the transit/transmit path.
    The MACs for both the source and destination in the current RPR frame header may be off-ring addresses. This can be classified as transparent bridging
2. Encapsulate the original Ethernet frame onto anther layer-2 frame which has RPR MAC on it (station ID or MAC address of the stations on the ring).
    This can be classified as encapsulation bridging.

One of the concerns for solution 1. is the lookup speed in the RPR MAC for line rate operations because the destination address match is not a simple direct match anymore. It would be a database search (a CAM like operation). Considering the whole system, we have:

1. In promiscuous mode, the database search in Bridge Relay/ISS is for every frame. Hence this does not pose anymore speed requirement for database lookup
2. In the destination of the frame, such database search is also required to figure out the egress port.

By encapsulation bridging (i.e. encapsulate a station ID inside), we will still require the look up somewhere inside the system anyway.

Before we have the encapsulation algorithm, it is hard to judge its merit. But from the high level, the overall operation (i.e. from the source to destination) can be compared:

1.  MAC Address learning: Encapsulation bridging and transparent bridging will be the same (once per-frame on the transit path for the source MAC address),
     operating at the same rate. For encapsulation bridge, it need to associate the source MAC address with the source RPR station address.
     The MAC address information will be used differently by those two mechanisms.
2. Encapsulate the packet at the source (before transmission to RPR ring) based on the MAC address information. This step is not required in transparent bridging
3. At each RPR station receiving from the transit path, check if the Source address for striping purposes. For encapsulation bridging, this will be a simple direct MAC address
     match. For address learning, the encapsulation bridge will also need to get the source address (original source MAC which could be off-ring) and update the MAC address
    database (a database lookup). For transparent bridging, this would be a database lookup, which both determines the source striping and for learning purposes.
4. At each RPR station receiving from the transit path, check the destination address.
    4a. for encapsulation bridge, perform a direct MAC address match. If it succeed, perform a database lookup for the real destination address encapsulated to determine
          the egress port
    4b. for transparent bridge, perform a database lookup for the destination MAC address, as if the direct MAC addrss match succeed in the encapsulation bridging case.

Before we get into details of how encapsulation bridge is to be structureed and how the bits is to be assigned, frame structures to be modified, we need to highlight the advantage of encapsulation bridge in order to persue it. Yes, it simplfies the 802.17 MAC, but may introduce a more complicated overall system. In step 3, the encapsulation bridge is actually doing more work than transparent bridge. In step 4, the encapsulation bridge is doing less work for most of the time but more work on the destination. The point is, if we do not have issues doing the more work at the destination, we definitly will not have issues doing slightly less work everywhere because everywhere is to be able to process it at the line rate.

The presences of routers/end stations will not affect the above because their MAC address will be used, which will be on the ring.

Comments?

Li...