RE: [RPRWG] Destination Address of RPR control messages

Mike,

While I like to use a zero-valued MAC address as a NULL value,
with the assumption that NULL MAC addresses are stripped
by the first downstream station, there is a small point
of concern: this is (in theory) a valid MAC address usable by
Xerox.

Of course, other standards have asked for Xerox to be contacted
and agree that zero is a null (rather than potentially valid)
MAC address. And, it reality, this address has been used and
retired years ago.

Its probably safe to use the zero value, although (in theory)
safeness has not yet been validated by the IEEE/RAC.

DVJ

David V. James, PhD
Chief Architect
Network Processing Solutions