From: Anoop Ghanwani [mailto:anoop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2002 2:13 AM
To: 'Necdet Uzun '; Anoop Ghanwani
Cc: ''John Lemon' '; ''stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx' '; Komal Rathi
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] A problem with fairness messages

Necdet,

Maybe that needs to change too! :-)
With the topology database and the source MAC address,
we have enough information to get the TTL_to_congestion
without having to bother with the TTL of the packet.
However, the problem there is how to handle cases
when topology hasn't yet converged.

In any case, the TTL is part of the MAC function,
but digging deep into a control packet is not.  In
fact, as I've pointed out many times before, 802 uses
special multicast addresses to identify control packets.
AFAIK, (and I could be wrong but I need an example here)
802 MACs don't have to dig even beyond the destination
address to identify a control packet.

Finally, Komal actually pointed out to me that fairness
messages are always sent with a TTL of 255 in order to
get the TTL_to_congestion, so John's analysis was actually
incorrect.  TTL stripping cannot really be used.

-Anoop