RE: [RPRWG] control TTL (the 255-station and 2000-km issue)

All,

I think Tom's point of raising the issue, by having a number, is well taken.
I also agree with Tom that MACs need not have distance requirements and that
distance is phy dependent. However, this MAC, like all other MACs, may have
time domain related limitations that can translate to distances. These
limitations are independent of the phy distance limitations and are an
inherent property of the MAC protocol.

As an example, CSMA/CD has a limitation, based on 'slot time', which was a
function of its collision detection and carrier sense mechanisms. This in
turn sets a maximum for the network diameter (as an inverse function of the
bit rate).

RPR may have such characteristics due to its fairness mechanism. I say 'may'
as it is not possible to discern these limitations from the current contents
of the draft and additional work is needed to quantify any span or diameter
(circumference) limitations . In which case, these need to be specified in
'Bit Times', in order to account for different phy speeds.

As for the number of stations, I agree with Tom that with an 8 bit TTL field
and double decrement on wrap, the absolute maximum will have to be 127 (not
counting 0).

Nader