RE: [RPRWG] control TTL (the 255-station and 2000-km issue)

> With regard to your last question / comment.
> In wrapping, the adjacent nodes can react immediately if
> they have the highest priority failure. Thereby
> wrapping will have quicker reaction times to
> steering. The need to broadcast in the wrapping
> case is to support the hierarchy. If no hierarchy
> was supported, then the decision could be completely
> local. In this case I would still argue that a
> broadcast of the event was useful for 2 reasons.
> 1) The same algorithm supports steering which is
>    the default mode
> 2) The packets that are trapped on the wrong ring
>    will get killed.

Mike,

This tells me why all nodes need to know about a
failure even when wrapping.  But now that all nodes
need to know about the failure, why do I need
wrapping?

This is a serious question.  In the past, I've
always answered it by saying that with wrapping,
only nodes local to the fault need to know about
it.  But if that's not the case, then I'll be
stumped every time this question comes up.
If steering can be done within 50 msec, is
doing it any faster with wrapping worth the
bandwidth overhead?

-Anoop