RE: [RPRWG] Question on ClassB client traffic

> Annex I in D0.3 describes the MAC client behavior. The
> packet forwarding logic in the MAC has to give priority to
> the ClassA transit traffic. So a client inserting ClassB
> packets into the MAC could be back pressured by a burst
> of ClassA transit traffic.
>
> How does the client distinguish between buffer-full type
> of back pressure vs. ClassB rate shaping(tokens expiry)
> related back pressure? When classB tokens expire, client
> can still send classB packets if SendC is asserted.

Prasad,

I don't think there's a way for the client to distinguish
between these two conditions.  This is another reason why
I think the SendA, SendB, and SendC signals are superfluous.

The MAC client shouldn't have to care about what's going
on inside the MAC.  It should just request transmission of
the frame at the desired service.  It should be the MAC's
job to decide when to service the request and put the frame
on to the medium based on the available credits and the
availability of the medium.  Where the frame is held
(MAC or MAC client) during that waiting period is an
implementation issue.

-Anoop