From: Mike Takefman [mailto:tak@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 11:39 AM
To: dot17
Subject: [RPRWG] X.msr

RPRWGers,

I have received the latest X.msr draft from ITU-T SG17
and John will upload it to the web shortly.

The rapporteur of the X.msr has informed me that they
intend to proceed for consent of their standard in
November and he welcomes our comments to the changes
that have been made.

Part of the September meeting should be to assemble
preliminary comments and get them approved for
delivery to the X.msr folks.

I presume that our official position will not change
which is that the industry and the world is not
served by having two standards with serious overlap.

It is my technical opinion that many of the features
of X.msr can be built on top of our MAC layer. That is to
say that X.msr as it stands today is defining both a
MAC and services layer.

It is also clear, that X.msr is intended for a highly provisioned, statically allocated network, and that
we would require some simple extensions to RPR to handle
things like unidirectional rings and unidirectional
chains (manual topology, no fairness).

If we are going to object to X.msr (in good concience) I
believe we have to be open to inviting them to joint
.17 for a new project that codifies how to do some of their lower level MAC processing with RPR.

cheers,

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@xxxxxxxxx
Manager of Engineering,       Cisco Systems