From: <raj@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 5:52 PM
Subject: [RPRWG] Delays in physical layers

I would like to know if anyone can shed some light on
the different delays through the various physical layers
chosen for RPR.

The delay would the time it takes for a MAC to receive the first byte
of a frame from the physical layer after the first byte is handed
from the upstream MAC to its physical layer.

The PHYs in interest are:
GFP/SONET
POS/SONET
64b66b/SONET (WIS)

I am assuming that the delays in the PHY have two components.
One associated with frame delineation and other with SONET framing.

What would be the magnitude of these delays ? milliseconds ?
microseconds? Would it interfere with any of the protection
or fairness schemes?

raj