From: Castellano, Robert [mailto:RCastellano@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 7:22 PM
To: 'Leon Bruckman'; 'John Lemon'
Cc: stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RPRWG] Frame Formats in Draft 2.0

Hi Leon,

The mh_frame_transmission frame format proposal defined the protocol
type to follow the HEC to provide space for the extended
ring control field prior to the HEC.  This field is required
for all frames (both strict / relaxed).  In fact, the
strict/relaxed mode indicator is identified within the
extRingControl field.
lb] My interpretation is that in strict mode the bit indicates
strict/relaxed, but the user may select to use only relaxed mode in which
case the frame format will remain as defined in D1.1. In my opinion the text
supports this interpretation, as noted in my email to Marc

There is one common frame format that accommodates both
strict/relaxed mode traffic, rather than having two
frame formats, one optimized for each.
lb] There is a 2 bytes tax for this, and our overhead is already large.

The WH proposal, "White Horse" was the only proposal which
supported the D1.1 frame format (some control bit encoding
was required in the rprcontrol field to support).

	robert