RE: [RPRWG] Re: Comments from Non-Members

Vinay -

I don't think that you have quite got it yet.

Anyone that has access to an 802 draft, whether a voting member of the WG
that owns the draft or not, is perfectly entitled to submit comments to the
relevant WG, and the WG is duty bound to give all such comments due
consideration. So I believe that at the top level, there are in fact only
two kinds of people:

Those that have access to the draft; and
Those that don't.

Clearly, those that don't have access to the draft have a hard time
submitting comments, other than "I haven't seen the draft", so we can
safely ignore that group, which is just as well, as it is numbered in the
billions these days.

Those that have access to the draft further subdivide into two kinds of people:

Those that have voting status in the WG that owns the draft; and
Those that don't.

As of the "Chair's Guideline" approved by the Exec at the last meeting, the
group of people that has access to the draft is potentially any participant
in any 802 working group, not just people that show up at 802.17 meetings,
by the way. (This clearly has an effect on the old rule in 802.17 that the
username/password for the website were only given out at .17 meetings.)

I believe that the only practical differences between these two groups from
the perspective of the conduct of WG ballots is that:

- Whether the ballot passes or fails depends *only* on the votes submitted
by the voting members of the WG (and is unaffected by the number of
comments received from non-voters); and

- Recircs must be accompanied by any outstanding negatives from voters,
plus the WG's rebuttal of their negatives (although, as I have observed,
there is nothing preventing the WG from circulating other comments plus
rebuttals from non-voters if it sees fit, and this can be a smart move); and

- The attainment of voting status places an obligation on the voter to
respond to ballots.

None of the above requires the existence of any kind of proxy service in
order for non-voters to have their say in WG ballots, and for the WG to
give their comments due consideration. They simply send in their comments.

Regards,
Tony

Regards,
Tony