From: Michael Allen [mailto:michael_allen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 11:33 AM
To: stds-802-17@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [RPRWG] Unclear from D2.0 what Protection messages are
transmitted on each ringlet.

I am currently trying to implement the Protection algorithms from D2.0 and
am finding some ambiguities/missing detail.

The spec discusses a "Long" and "Short" protection message and describes
what each message indicates. What the spec does not indicate is what
messages are actually transmitted in IDLE/WRAPPED/PROTECTION conditions.

I.e. Is a short AND long message sent on each ringlet in each periodic
interval? This way both interfaces are described in both directions on the
ring. This would mean each station originates 4 messages per interval.
[JF] Yes, 4 messages are generated per interval.

If only a single message is sent on each ringlet, which interface is the
fail_status reporting and is it different for IDLE/WRAPPED/PROTECTION
states?
[JF] See above.

In 11.8.3 c), allowNonCoexistingProtection...
I find the statement "all link availability values in topology database not
corresponding to sideProtectionState and neighborProtectionState" quite
ambiguous.

1) For the comparison, is this all fail_status values on both ringlets
(except those noted)?
[JF] Yes.

2) Is neighborProtectionState to exclude the one for the neighbor state