Re: [RPRWG] Further Comments on using <64Byte Frames with 802.3 PHYs

Bob, I wasn't thinking about the minimum frame size with respect to SONET,
but rather a careful review to determine what the assumptions were for SONET
and to see if we are breaking any of those assumptions.  If reading Bob
Grow's note I saw that his primary emphasis was on the process of how we
evaluate a PHY before applying it.  His basic message was that we must be
extremely careful in picking up any PHY and first understand the basis and
assumptions that went into developing it, in order to determine if we can
use it.  On the whole I believe that most of us in 802.17, and I include
myself in that group, have been too cavalier in assuming that we can easily
pick up a developed PHY without close scrutiny to see what "gotchas" are in
it.  Bob and Geoff give some good advice in requesting that we first
carefully review.  I would add: and then we should document what we have
found, showing why we can use what we do.  In addition, if we change any of
the assumptions, then more exhaustive analysis is required to verify that
our use of the PHY, now modified in how it will operate, is still
technically sound.

Best regards,

Robert D. Love
President, Resilient Packet Ring Alliance
President, LAN Connect Consultants
7105 Leveret Circle     Raleigh, NC 27615
Phone: 919 848-6773       Mobile: 919 810-7816
email: rdlove@xxxxxxxx          Fax: 208 978-1187