RE: [RPRWG] Promiscuous mode

Sam,

Can you provide more information regarding how promiscuous
mode is intended to be used in RPR.  Promiscuous mode in 802.3
is fine for supporting transparent bridges supporting 802.3
network interfaces.  The 802.3 MAC passes all received frames
up to the transparent bridge client.  Promiscuous mode causes problems for
transparent bridges attached to RPR.  These problems were
presented in previous meetings.

At last meeting we accepted comment #951 defining rxfilter
which defines an RPR MAC receive filter.  Rxfilter controls
when receive frames are passed up to the client.

	rxfilter takes on two values -

	Basic - receive unicast frames where preHEC DA matches station's MAC
address, broadcast, multicast
	Flood - BASIC + frames where the frame.FF is either bidirectional or
unidirectional.

The basic setting is intended for frame reception by a host.  The flood
setting is
intended for frame reception by a transparent bridge.  The flood setting
differs
from promiscuous mode in that unicast frames to some other MAC address
are not copied to the RPR MAC client.  This is the required behavior
for a transparent bridge client attached to RPR ring.

Promiscuous mode might be useful for an RPR MAC residing in a piece
of test equipment in which case the scope of promiscuous mode would
not be just limited to data frames, but includes control as well.

If promiscuous mode is needed for diagnostic or some other purpose, it is
probably
worth proposing at the next meeting.

	thanks,

	robert

ps.  This complements Peter Jone's email on this topic.