Re: [RPRWG] Concerns about 802.17b ideas.

Title: RE: [RPRWG] Concerns about 802.17b ideas.
Hi Robert and Holness,

Thanks for your patient explanation.

Anyway, I want futher explain my original point. let's consider following scenarios:
[Scenario A]
Five SAS aware RPR station attached bridges A, B, C, D, E on a RPR ring. The following secquence of traffic applies:
1. A send un-direct frame dest to B by RPR flooding.Then A's MAC address is learnt by all bridges(B,C,D,E)
2. Then B send direct frame to A by RPR unicast. B's MAC address is learnt by A, but not by C,D,E.
3. Then when C, D, E send frames dest to B, they always using un-direct mode. When these frames travel by C, D, E, the are always foolding to the attached 802.3 network.I originally think this is also a persistent flooding caused by B never sending frames dest to C, D, E.

[Scenario B]
SAS bridge A attached to SAS unaware station, bridges B, C, D, E attached to four SAS aware stations, they attached to one RPR ring. The following secquence of traffic applies:
1. A send un-direct frame dest to B by RPR flooding.Then A's MAC address is learnt by all bridges(B,C,D,E)(supposed SAS compatiable check  not apply)
2. B send direct frame to A by RPR unicast. B's MAC address is learned by A, but not by C,D,E.
3. Then when C, D, E send frames dest to B, they always using un-direct mode. When these frames travel by C, D, E, the are always flooding to the attached 802.3 network.
4. When A send frames dest to B again, it always use flooding because it is SAS un-aware, even A is learnt by B, causing persistent flooding on C, D, E attached 802.3 network.

The ScenarioA.3 and ScenrioB.3 are the same phenomenon no matter A is attached to a SAS aware or un-aware station  So I think maybe these is not considered to be a persistent flooding. Only ScenrioB.4 is considered to be a real persistent flooding which is the reason of SAS compatiable check rules in 802.17b draft. Am I right?

My point is,
1. Persistent flooding definition should made clear.
2. If ScenarioA.3 and ScenrioB.3's flooding can be improved by some special extentension to 802.17b, such as proposal in  http://www.ieee802.org/17/documents/presentations/oct2004/ng_SR_01.pdf page 4, 802.17b maybe more useful.

Best Regards,

Chao Wang