Secure IT Workshop Invitation

Thought you would be interested in this workshop
involving secure it standards issues.

Deborah Rudolph
Manager, Technology Policy
IEEE-USA
1828 L Street, NW #1202
Washington, DC 20036
202 785-0017 x8332
email: d.rudolph@ieee.org
fax: 202 785-0835
ieeeusa.org

Secure IT:Identifying, Developing, and Evaluating
             Information Technology Products and Services for
             Secure Government and Infrastructure Applications

                       A Workshop  co-sponsored by:
          Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers - USA
        Carnegie Mellon University/Sustainable Computing Consortium

                   Keynote Speaker:  Mr. Howard Schmidt
    Acting Chair, President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board

                              To be held at:
                             Green Auditorium
                             Gaithersburg, MD

                               May 20, 2003

We invite you to join senior government officials, industry executives,
educators, policy leaders, scientists, and engineers for a one-day workshop
that will address how the Federal government, private industry, and
infrastructure providers can identify, develop, and evaluate off-the-shelf,
commercially available information technology (IT) products and services
for secure system applications.  Presentations covering background status
and issues will be followed by afternoon working sessions that will focus
on high priority technical, educational and policy concerns and the
formulation of action plans for solving and mitigating these concerns.

This workshop is being held in response to our government's recognition of
the need to address security risks associated with the public and private
sector components of the critical information infrastructure.  Our nation's
critical infrastructure relies not only on the integrity of government
managed IT infrastructure and related information systems, but also those
of public and private institutions.  Flaws and vulnerabilities in these
critical systems can threaten our economic and national security, as well
as law enforcement and public safety.  Thus, the security of our nation
rests on the ability of all links within the infrastructure to maintain
viability whether endangered by product failure, human error, malicious
activity, criminal intent, or external sabotage.

Initial discussion topics include:
·    National Information Assurance Partnership's Common Criteria
Evaluation and Validation Program: The Next Steps
·    Government's Role in Cybersecurity Technology
·    Improving Design of IT Products and Services
·    IT Workforce Development, Evaluation, and Maintenance

Agenda:            http://www.ieeeusa.org/conferences/secureit

Registration:     http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/confpage/conffutr.htm

   We look forward to seeing you there!  Please feel free to pass this
   invitation along to others who may be interested in this topic.

|--------------------------------+--------------------------------------|
| Luke Maki, Workshop Co-Chair   | Dr. William Guttman, Workshop        |
|   Committee on Communications  | Co-Chair                             |
| and                            |   Distinguished Service Professor of |
|   Information Policy           | Economics &                          |
|   IEEE-USA                     |   Technology and                     |
|                                |   Director, Carnegie Mellon          |
|                                | Sustainable Computing                |
|                                |   Consortium                         |
|--------------------------------+--------------------------------------|

Workshop Planning Committee: (alphabetically)

LeEarl Bryant
Consultant
Immediate Past-President, IEEE-USA

Lawrence Maccherone
Executive Director
Carnegie Mellon Sustainable Computing Consortium

Dr. Ron Ross
NIST Computer Security Division

Deborah Rudolph
Manager, Technology Policy Activities
IEEE-USA

(See attached file: SecureITConferenceInvitation2003.doc)

Deborah Rudolph
Manager, Technology Policy
IEEE-USA
1828 L Street, NW #1202
Washington, DC 20036
202 785-0017 x8332
email: d.rudolph@ieee.org
fax: 202 785-0835
ieeeusa.org

-

=?iso-8859-1?Q?SecureITConferenceInvitation2003.doc?=