Re: [802.19] Possible 802.11n spectrum scanning requirements

On 10-24-08 Shellhammer, Steve wrote-

“We have public parks, road and beaches and we also have unlicensed frequency bands.”

Very true, but if you choose to drive a motorcycle on the public road, you are several times more likely to be killed than if you drive a Volvo. That might not be fair, but it is accurate. And while I do expect that Volvo drivers to follow the rules of the road, I certainly don’t expect them to buy a “motorcycle protection package” to keep me safer on a bike.

On 10-22-08 Gregg Rasor wrote-

"You don't want to mess with the FCC by not playing fair under the rules..."

Of course the FCC has already set the precedent as to the “fairness” of 40MHz operation by approving hundreds of pre .11n and dual channel mode .11g based devices.

Fairness in resources allocation questions is N-P complete over time from the prospective of the user, so until someone figures out how to put a quantum computer in a $5 radio, the problem is best avoided in technology and should be dealt with by enabling the users to resolve disputes.

It should also be remembered that what is “fair” to the FCC is subject to change every 4 years. The fact that the current Chief of the OET is someone that most of us hold in high regard as an engineer makes it palatable to adopt the FCC’s ideas of “fairness” in an international standard, but once the position is again held by a wholly political appointee; fairness will more than likely be dictated by lobbyists, and become even less likely to be resolved by technical means.

On 10-23-08 Bill Shvodian wrote-

“Is everyone familiar with the concept of The Tragedy of the Commons?”

I am, and Garret Harding’s assessment that has given rise to the modern concept of the ToC has been proven to be no more accurate the notion that there were WMD’s in Iraq.

The original “tragedy” in England was that the threat of over grazing was used as an excuse by Lords to move “commoners” off of land that they had successfully shared for 100s of years. The primary motive for this was an attempt to gain control over the food supply as a tool to press the commoners into military service during the English civil war.

Historically, there are very few examples of a resource being ruined in the manner “pictured” by Harding. ToC like conclusions have almost always been evoked as propaganda by a party looking to gain control over the resource to the disadvantage of others.

On 10-23-08 David Bagby wrote-

“Let's use the grazing analogy....”

Dave, we are not the farmers. We simply provide the sheep. If my customers want my sheep to play nice, they’ll play nice. If my customers want omnivorous sheep that eat the occasional pasture mate, I’ll open a genetics lab… Such is the reality of difficult economic times.

Scott Blue

Sensible Radio

650 276 0565