[802.19] FW: Update on September 802 Wireless Interim in Okinawa

Here is some information about the September Wireless Interim.

Steve

From: Bruce Kraemer [mailto:bkraemer@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:33 AM
To: 'STDS-802-11@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Cc: Bob Heile; Mody, Apurva (US SSA); Michael Lynch; Shellhammer, Steve
Subject: Update on September 802 Wireless Interim in Okinawa

Dear 802.11 members,

Given the situation in Japan the 802 Wireless chairs thought an update on the Okinawa meeting was in order.

 We are all concerned about the conditions of the residents in northern Japan and the condition of the infrastructure following the earthquake on March 11 and hope for a speedy recovery; however, we do not expect it will be necessary to alter our September plans as a result.

Okinawa is quite a bit south of the troubled areas in northern Japan, in fact about the same distance and direction as that between New York City and New Orleans. As a consequence, Okinawa and its infrastructure were not affected by the earthquake and tsunami and it is well out of harms way from the reactor issues in Fukushima. Also working in our favor is the fact that our interim is 6 months from now and substantial international support is being delivered to assist Fukushima in remedying their problems.

In terms of getting there, although air travel through Narita is virtually normal today with no reported safety issues, Okinawa is also accessible from a variety of other connecting airports for those who want a different option.

Needless to say we will continue to monitor the situation closely for any change, but right now things look good for our meeting with no reason to expect any change in that status.  We can only hope that northern Japan is able to get back on its feet as rapidly possible. Our meeting in Okinawa is a show of support.

We are looking to have the hotel link up by mid to late April and to have the registration link up by the May Interim in Palm Springs.

Regards,

Bruce Kraemer

Chair 802.11