[802.19] Proactive Spectrum Planning

Dear IEEE 802.11 members:

In July of this year, I gave a presentation on Proactive Spectrum Planning; a way of potentially reducing the long time it traditionally takes to have spectrum sharing approved and begun in various regulatory domains. The example I used was the European approval process for the 6 GHz band, which began in 2017, with the harmonized standard now scheduled for (no earlier than) March 2023.

I did not claim to have answers, just the initiative to rally some of the organizations thinkers to find potential shortcuts. Even cutting one year from the six year European process would be significant for the industry.

I proposed a task force to look at accomplishing this, most likely withing the Radio Regulatory Technical Advisory Group, and a number of people indicated interest. I have heard nothing since, so this email is intended to be a last call for anyone interested. This could be participation in a task force, or simply contributing suggestions.

I hope by the start of the September Interim I have enough indication from the groups (I also presented this to 802.11 and 802.15) as to whether or not there is a desire to move forward with this.

Thank you for listening.

Rich Kennedy
Electrical Engineer Emeritus

rkennedy1000@xxxxxxxxx
+1 (737) 202-7014

" For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal.” – John Fitzgerald Kennedy