stds-80220-requirements: Comments on Versions 2 and 3 of the Requirements

Here are some comments from Ayman, Arak, and myself...

Jim

Section 1.1

"These requirements are consistent with the PAR document (see section 1.3 below) and shall constitute the top-level binding specification for the 802.20 standard"

%%%%%%%%%%

There was a comment to delete the word "binding" from this sentence.  While we don't have a problem with the deletion itself, the comment mentions that there is no time to ballot the requirements document.  Its important to keep in mind that there is not yet an approved schedule or workplan for the group. Given the importance of the requirements, selection criteria, etc, to the project, a quick ballot cycle may be appropriate as a consensus building vehicle.

Section 1.1 Strikeout of "interoperability " clause.

I notice that in Version 3 this clause has been removed. More specifically the clause "interoperability with other wireless access systems with intra and inter-systems handoff support"  This is the beginning of a number of comments intended to strike out sections about dealing with inter/intra system handoffs.  Given that 802.20 is targeted for vehicular velocities up to about 250 km/hr, a mobile user could conceivably be going through cells at a very great pace.  Some method to seamlessly (not just keeping the IP 4-tuple) maintain connections will be needed.  Restore sections related to handoffs, that have been deleted in Rev 3.

Section 2

Title Text "Overview of Services and Applications"

Add "and Related Requirements" to the end of the title.  Note, that we do not necessarily advocate drafting out detailed requirements for each and every application. Nonetheless, we should not lose sight of the fact that services and applications can and will exert certain requirements on the MAC and PHY. For instance, in order to make argument that services such as voice can be implemented via VoIP and QoS, we first need to define what QoS is, a point that is even made later in the suggested list of changes.

Section 2

Page 9, Line 2-5

After: "The AI shall support interoperability between an IP Core
Network and IP enabled mobile terminals."

Insert: "This allows applications including, but not limited to,
full screen, full graphic web browsing, e- mail, file upload and download
without size limitations (e.g., FTP), video and audio streaming, IP
Multicast, VPN connections, VoIP, instant messaging and on- line
multiplayer gaming."

This sentence was originally submitted by Scott Migaldi and Jim Mollenaur
and provides a nice overview of applications used over an Internet
service.

Remove or Define/clarify full screen

%%%%%%%%%%

Section 2.1

Page 9, Lines 11- 30

We should delete this exhaustive listing since we have little to say
about the applications themselves and we are not inserting requirements
into this section anyway.

Another unresolved issue. Noted that in Draft 3, these lines have already been crossed out.  The section on Applications may have requirements inserted in so far as these affect MAC and PHY.

Sections 2.4.x

E911 and many other sections have been deleted in response to a comment made in e-mail and not discussed.  Some of these need to remain.  For example, E911, is composed of location services and priority access.  While location services may be provided above the MAC, there is a need to provide MAC hooks to deliver priority access.  To provide priority access we will need a requirement on the airinterface to provide such a mechanism.

Restore priority access section and add:

"The Air Interface shall include provision to provide priority access to mobile stations."

Section 2.4.5 3G Service Application Extensions for MBWA

Since MBWA is being designed to operate in concert with 3G services it will be necessary to define a requirement for it.  Do not delete the section.

Section 3.2 Version 3 edited version

The phrase "Any AI Interfaces" has a typo. remove "AI"

Section 4

Section 4's title has been changed. Change back to "System Requirements"  This section was meant to capture system behavior as well as performance requirements.

Section 4.5 Packet Error Rate

Looking at version 3 and a comment that resulted in the editing shown.

Capability is not useful unless it is used.  Change the first line to read:  "The physical layer shall adapt..."

ARQ methods are a tool to achieve improved packet error rate.  There are other tools as well, and no need to mandate that all technology submissions use ARQ.  Change the second sentence to say:  "The air interface may use appropriate ARQ..."

Perhaps, we can be more specific about what PER can be expected after PHY/MAC.  PHY/MAC should have mechanisms to support a range of PER from 10^-
2 to 10^-6.

Section 4.11

Section 4.11 has been deleted from Version 3. Restore.   Good handoff techniques will be required, given the high vehicular mobility PAR requirements (250km/hr).

Sections 4.11, 4.12, 4.13

These sections were meant to capture security requirements. The edited text is too weak to be useful.

Add

To Control Access, a cyptographically generated..." shall be specified.

The mobile station and base station shall provide base station controllable Over the air Message Integrity Mechanisms.

The mobile station and base station shall provide network controllable privacy mechanisms.

Section 4.19 Signaling

This section has been removed in version 3.  Non-Data-Channel signaling is an important capability that helps to assure a robust air interface design.  There is a need for ms to bs signaling channels to be implemented that are not necessarily part of the user data stream.  Restore sections and requirements will be drafted.

                James D. Tomcik
                QUALCOMM, Incorporated
                (858) 658-3231 (Voice)
                (619) 890-9537 (Cellular)
                From:  San Diego, CA
                PGP: 5D0F 93A6 E99D 39D8 B024  0A9B 6361 ACE9 202C C780