RE: stds-80220-requirements: 802.20 Reference Model

Joanne, and Marianna, (and others, of course...),

Generally I think the draft posted by Joanne and Mark goes in the right
direction, but Marianna's diagram points out a couple items that we should
think about adding to it.

(1) Joanne and Mark's (Fig 1) does not include the management interface and
so is inconsistent with the very high level 802 model shown below it.  We
should add this to be consistent with the 802 approach shown, and to
indicate that proposals should be planned and described in such a way that
equipment can be managed via this standard approach.

(2) Marianna's Figure 1 clearly shows an interface between Physical Layer
and Mac (noted as CS PHY).  This should also be included in our reference
diagram to clearly delineate PHY and MAC.  (I miss the subtelty of CS vs
SAP in these diagrams, however the idea of a clean interface does come
through.)

Its not clear to me what the sublayers buy us at this point.  We do have a
section on security in the text, and this can (and should) be used to state
that the technology proposals must have a security feature that includes
Authentication, Key Management, and Encryption.  What do we miss by
omitting the Common Part Sublayer and the Service Specific Convergence
Sublayer?

Regards,

Jim Tomcik

		James D. Tomcik
		QUALCOMM, Incorporated
		(858) 658-3231 (Voice)
		(619) 890-9537 (Cellular)
		From:  San Diego, CA
		PGP: 5D0F 93A6 E99D 39D8 B024  0A9B 6361 ACE9 202C C780