RE: [Fwd: stds-80220-requirements: Proposal for Section 4.1.1MBWAQoS]

Jim,

We really understand your viewpoint and appreciate your concern for making sure that all users are authorized and get exactly the grade of service they pay for. The misunderstanding is in that your objectives of securely classifying traffic can be met by different types of systems unrelated to the technical requirement you state and unrelated to PHY/MAC. Let me explain.

> I'm concerned by your proposal of using the 6-bit DSCP field
> within the
> IP header as the only means of classifying and mapping a packet to a
> specific PHB.  With this proposal and without MF classifiers, an
> external application must be present to mark *uplink* packets. DSCP
> fields encoded by a customer knowledgable of diffserv and fed into the
> mobile terminal can now have free high priority service.  Certain
> forwarding behaviors are deemed expensive in terms of resources and
> their un-authorized use is not acceptable.
>
> For uplink traffic, in most cases the mobile terminal should
> be the only
> hardware device that marks the DSCP field of the IP header, based on a
> unique set of operator defined MF classifications.  The system must
> check other fields such as destination IP address, IP protocol field,
> etc, prior to making the decision that it is acceptable to
> map a packet
> belonging to a microflow to a particular forwarding behavior.  Whether
> or not the traffic is then encapsulated is irrelevant.

Any type of field is subject to spoofing by malicious users. So, by the same token you can not trust any other field that MF classifiers may look into. If you take the security argument into consideration, you really don't want to be classifying on the mobile side whatsoever.

This problem is entirely avoided if all initial classification (including MF classification if desired) is done by some other node in the access network (as stated in my message below). However, that is network architecture solution specific.

Again, we really understand your viewpoint and appreciate your concern, but bottom line, the only thing the air interface needs to know is that it needs to associate a PHB with a microflow. Which PHB to use is signaled by the DSCP (that can be passed to the air interface on a MAC SAP and possibly across the air if no classification is done on the mobile). That is all and standard DiffServ. Everything else is network architecture specific, i.e. outside the PHY/MAC scope of the group.

I think we now really have exhausted this discussion. I am attaching the original QoS proposal made by Bill Young on behalf of a larger group, which we believe should be taken as is, as it is agreeable to the largest number of concerned parties (i.e. the rough consensus of the group).

Branislav