From: owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Joanne Wilson
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2003 3:43 PM
To: Joseph Cleveland; 'Heesoo Lee'; stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: Frame Error Rate Requirement

Joseph,

I have to agree with Mike, Samir, Jim and Heesoo.  For FER to be an appropriate requirement, it
would have to be visible and meaningful to the end user.  My take from Heesoo's message is that,
and I believe this is also the point Mike, Samir and Jim have been trying to make, the impact of a
specific FER at the application level (which is what end users see) will vary with the AI design.
From my perspective, I don't see how we could establish an FER requirement that is independent
of the AI design.  For example, we don't know either the length, structure or payload of the frames
for which we'd be setting a FER requirement?  Certainly, all of the those are outside of the scope
of the Requirements Document.   As Heesoo recommends, I prefer to have the evaluation group
consider whether and, if so, how to address optimization of the FER in the context of the specific
AI proposals under evaluation.

Best regards,

Joanne