RE: stds-80220-requirements: FW: 802.20 Requirements - Repeaters

Hi all, (I'm a newbie that you will meet in ABQQ)

My $0.02:
It is appropriate that a requirements specification express the need for the
protocol to support both the standard station and repeater equipment /
topology. It is inappropriate to get into the details of any particular
device (or manufacturer's specs). If the requirements focus too much on the
existing and in-pipeline methods and technology, we may inadvertently
discourage or inhibit future developments of alternative devices and methods
that could help the 802.20 world. Later, when we draw swords during the
writing of the architecture and design documents, we can get down into the
nitty gritty details.

BTW, the "swords" remark was meant in loving jest.

newt
Newton Love
Alion Science & Technology  (www.alionscience.com)
185 Admiral Cochrane Drive
Annapolis MD 21401

Background:
Alion S&T is a think tank company. We used to be IIT Research Institute
(IITRI) until the regents of the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
decided to sell us to raise money for increasing their endowment. We (the
employees) bought ourselves. We took the new name, which is pronounced
"uh-lion" as in "Lions, Tigers, and Bears." We are the inventors of
SillyPutty, magnetic tape, and a bunch of things. For almost 40 years, we
have supported the DoD Joint Spectrum Center in areas of spectrum planning
and use, as well as all types of electromagnetic effects and phenomena. I
work on that contract.
-newt