From: owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-80220-requirements@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of
Migaldi Scott-W10265
Sent: 23 October 2003 22:41
To: 'stds-80220-requirements@ieee.org'
Subject: RE: stds-80220-requirements: FW: 802.20 Requirements - Repeaters

Junyi has a very good point here.

The goal is low cost coverage and the use of repeaters are one type of
implementation to achieve this goal. There are other ways and I am sure that
there will be new ways to achieve this goal as well. To mandate repeaters as
part of the system deployment seems beyond the scope of a requirements
document, as much as mandating the use of alternate back up power support
for base stations.

These are system design questions and are not part of the basic air
interface support. I think to say that the 'AI should support the addition
of coverage enhancing technology' is all that we could do at this stage 1
level. Then we can address the details of what that means latter on as the
protocol and interface are developed.

Scott