Re: [Mipshop] Re: Architectural Considerations for Handover InformationServices (was: Re: CARD Discussion Query Discussion)

Michael,

I know there are places where xml is involved in call control, e.g., an
optional xml document can be embedded in a SIP invite message in some
PoC VoIP call control messages in OMA. However, all
implementations/empirical data that I am aware of points to that as the
cause of a major portion of the call setup delay of PoC (~5-9 sec as
reported). It is widely recognized that is a penalty we all are paying
for the extensibility, flexibility, and text-based nature of SIP/XML
call control signaling and tremendous effort and resources have been
spent to reduce the VoIP call setup latency across the industry.
Fortunately, that only happens once at the setup of a call (I am not
aware of any significant SIP/XML signaling used mid-session).

In my view, handoff is much more time sensitive than the call setup from
a user's perspective and handoff can happen repeatedly in a call. Making
XML handling part of the handoff procedure may not be a good idea at all.

regards,
-Qiaobing