RE: The problem of media sense of 802.21

From: stds-802-21@ieee.org [mailto:stds-802-21@ieee.org] On Behalf Of CHEN, LIANG -HCHBJ
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 12:45 AM
To: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: The problem of media sense of 802.21

Dear all,

I am a researcher in China working for the handover issue and also a new to the 802.21 community.  I understand that the goal of 802.21 is to provide the integrated wireless networking service among 3G, 2G, WiFi, WiMax, etc., without the interruption of upper layer applications.  So it should be an issue to detect the available wireless network before the handover.  And the necessary information to be probed in advance might include the signal strength, bandwidth, price and the accessibility between the new network and the current used network.

Due to my insufficient cultivation in the 802.21 communication, could anyone here show me your pervious work on the topic of media sense please?

[Gupta Vivek]  The 802.21 Information Service is intended to help in this regard.

Using the connection of your current radio you may be able to retrieve information about other radios in a particular geographical area. Thus it may be possible to know about say a WiFi hotspot using your currently connected 2G/3G radio. Further you can also get information about static link layer parameters such as neighbor reports which could help you in selecting an appropriate point of attachment for the network you may be interested in(AP/BS etc.). You might also be able to get certain other information parameters such as price (WLAN free/not free) etc. as well using this service. Other dynamic parameters such as dynamic resources levels and state information (signal strength/bandwidth etc.) for specific networks may be obtained only after you have established the appropriate L2 connection on the respective radio.

For more details on this service please visit www.ieee802.org\21 and please look for various contributions related to Information Service from previous meeting folders.

Best Regards,

-Vivek

Thanks!

Best regards,

Liang Chen

Tel: (8610) 65908111 ext 3054, Fax: (8610) 65908179

Hitachi(China) Research and Development Corp.

R.1701, Beijing Fortune Building, Chaoyang District,

Beijing, China, 100004.