Re: [802.21] 802.21 Information Elements

For 802.11 and 802.16, IEs are definitely concrete, well defined Information
Elements; either TLVs, information elements contained in air interface MAC
messages, or defined PHY & MAC operating characteristics. Unfortunately,
different air interface standardization groups do not use IE terminology the
same, not even within the 802 community. So, by definition, it is not
possible for 802.21 to create a universal set of IEs using the exact naming
employed in the disparate air interface standardization groups. Since 802.21
is not expert in each of the air interface technologies for which it is
providing media independent handover standardization, 802.21 and the
relevant standardization groups for those other interface technologies are
best served if 802.21 creates a list of required IEs, giving meaningful but
not necessarily universal names, with detailed definitions, and works with
the groups to appropriately map the 802.21 IEs to existing IEs for those air
interface technologies. In those instances where no adequate IE exists on
the air interface technology, it will be up to the appropriate air interface
standardization group to add it. It is also extremely helpful to have a list
of trigger events that map to exposing those IEs through primitives. This
gives context to the IE presentation and helps groups like 802.16g create
appropriate primitives with required trigger events; primitives that meet
the specific requirements for 802.21.

Thanks,
Phillip Barber
Huawei