AW: [802.21] Ad-hoc on ES/CS discussion

Hello together,

I was a bit surprised to see all the emails regarding ACK :-)
So, I would also like to join this heavy discussion and add
my thoughts to it ;-)

- At first we are "trying" to desing MIHF protocol to be
  independent of transport protocol. Thus, I would say, we
  should treat L2 and L3 as one (at least from .21 point of view)

- We are also aiming in the desing that MIH is not having the
  knowledge over which transport protocol its packets are sent.
  If we say, it has this knowledge, then we should mention it
  in our draft to avoid all these misunderstandings. And this
  will also solve many other points.

- If we feel, that the relaibility is a point for transport
  protocol, then we "SHOULD" put it as a requirement for transport
  protocol (I think this is agreed in some cases).

- In most of the cases we have Request and Response to the
  request. So, for me Respone is some sort of ACK that the
  message is delivered.

- In some of the cases we have Request and confirm to the
  request. So, for me confirm is some sort of ACK that the
  message is delivered.

- I see only for "indication" we do not have any response.
  I fell the concern from Srini and Yoshi is comming from
  these primitives. So here are my proposals to solve this:

   o also add a "confirm" or "response" primitive to these messages,
     eg. Link_Up.Indication and Link_Up.Confirm

     By the way, we have Request, Response and Indication
     defined as OpCodes, but not Confirm.

   o add a new OpCode as suggested "ACK" to these messages
     without any time lines and other specific parameters.

   o add a new ACK-TLV, which can be used for this purpose.
     (This include some overhead compared to the ACK or confirm
      or response OpCodes, therefore, I prefer the other
      solutions rather than this)

  => This would avoid us from keeping the MIH to know about
     the transport protocols
  => This would avoid us from using the "a" bit
  => This would also include some sort of "Relaibility" to
     the MIHF protocol (all the messages do have some sort
     of ACK)

I'm eager to see the reactions from your side ;-)

regards,
Kalyan

[Vivek G Gupta]
Why not?
Will it be better to handle this completely within MIH protocol or leave
it completely outside, instead of selectively handling such aspects
within MIH protocol? The question then is what are all the different
transport type aspects that we need to cover within MIH protocol? How
shall we know when we are done?

> Even if we consider L2 transport over a new Ethernet type, we would
> face the same problem of "unnecessary retransmission of request that
> has been received but taking time to process" if we don't have ACK in
> the MIH protocol.
[Vivek G Gupta]
I am not saying that you don't need an ACK for such a case. Just that my
impression was that such ACKs need to be handled at the transport level.
For most wireless media at L2 that's already built in. For other cases
where that's not built in, does MIH need to take care of that or shall
that be handled by some other means? If MIH protocol needs to handle
this then we may need to define more than just the ACK
opcode.....retransmissions, timeouts, dealing with duplicate/redundant
packets, etc.