From: ext zze-Seamless PERESSE M ext RD-RESA-REN [mailto:mperesse.ext@RD.FRANCETELECOM.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:37 AM
To: STDS-802-21@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Providing QoS through current link layer primitives

Hi Nada,

Thanks for your answers,

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Nada Golmie [mailto:nada.golmie@nist.gov] Envoyé : lundi 27 février 2006 23:09 À : zze-Seamless PERESSE M ext RD-RESA-REN Cc : Reijo Salminen; STDS-802-21@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG; Olvera-Hernandez, Ulises; nada.golmie@nist.gov Objet : Re: [802.21] Providing QoS through current link layer primitives

Hello Mathieu,

The MIH QOS framework for 802.21 described in 21-06-0493-02 can be easily extended in order to communicate the application QOS (static) requirements to the MIH function and/or decision engine.
I guess we need simply add the "MIH_Configure_QOS" command and event as you suggest. No other additions are required as far as I can tell.

Multiple parameters can be specified as you suggest in step A. Observe that these parameters should refer to the MIH QOS pre-defined (or
proposed) list, i.e. IPTD, IPDV, IPLR, and IPER. We can certainly keep some "reserved for future use".

Some comments/ clarifications on the terminology you use:
1) What you refer to as  type 1 QOS are commonly known as application QOS requirements. These are expected requirements in order for the application to operate adequately. There are several ITU-T publications that make recommendations for different class of service/applications.
Thus, these requirements can be known a priori to the MIH or may not be exchanged on a session by session basis.

[MP] You mean that if an application use "MIH_Configure_QoS" to express its App QoS requirements, there is no need to specify any values, but rather a type of service/application ?

2) What you refer to as type 2 QOS are known as network performance objectives and those are real-time measurements obtained from the network and made available to the MIH/ decision engine or even the application in order to perform some action, for example a handover, or no handover.

[MP] OK, here is what I would propose for a start:
- define the 2 types of QoS parameters in the definition section (application QoS requirements and network performance objectives (perhaps with ITU-T references)). -
- modify Paragraph 5.1.3 so that it roughly describe what we want to achieve (not specifically how).
- add MIH_Configure_QoS so that the proposal keeps its consistency.

-Nada

--
Nada Golmie, Ph.D.
Manager, High Speed Network Technologies Group National Institute of Standards and Technology 100 Bureau Dr. Stop 8920 Gaithersburg, MD 20899