Re: [802.21] Tomorrow's Telecon material

Srini,

Sorry for missing your earlier question. But if only some transactions
are time sensitive, would setting a general delay requirement for
transport (i.e., forcing every transaction to pay the same cost) become
a little wasteful?

Moreover, IP in general is best effort network and every transport is at
the mercey of the underneath IP layer. I don't know any existing
mechanism that allows the sender to control the timeliness of delivering
a packet over an IP path (the most a sender can do is to set the TOS
bits and pray).

The more common practice for a sender is to set a shorter timer if it
knows that an out-going message is urgent so that it can engage failure
handling sooner if the expected response does not come back from the
far-end.

By the way, the only time sensitive IP transport defined in IETF is RTP,
while neither TCP or UDP is considered time sensitive.

regards,
-Qiaobing