From: owner-stds-802-3-10gbt-cabling@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-10gbt-cabling@majordomo.ieee.org] On Behalf Of
xichen@marvell.com
Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 12:13 AM
To: stds-802-3-10GBT-Cabling@ieee.org; stds-802-3-10GBT-Modeling@ieee.org;
stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Cc: William Jones
Subject: [10GBT-Cabling] [10GBASE-T] a channel capacity estimation program
for your evaluation

Hi, Bill and 10GBASE-T SG members,

Sorry for the so late response.  I was on a quite long vacation past several
week.

I have finished a Matlab program to distribute in the 10GBase-T SG for the
evaluation of the bottomline channel performance.  The channel simulation is
based on the models (return loss, FEXT, NEXT, insertion loss) provided by
Chris and a presentation (Alien NEXT) last Novermber.  Without consideration
of any implementation and modulation/coding, the Shannon channel capacity
can be calculated only based on the frequency-domain
channel model.   Please read the comments in the program for details

Unfortunately, based on the available channel models, even with a quite
optimistic belief in the achievable DSP power, the Shannon capacity tells me
that both CAT-5E and CAT-6 cables cannot support 10Gbps throughtput over a
distance of 100 meters.  Please read the comments in the program for
details.

Surely, the calculation is completely based on the available channel models.
I know more work is needed on setting up a channel model accepted by all of
us.  But unless some dramatic improvement can be achieved in the alien NEXT
suppression, the program tells us pretty much the story.

If you have any question about the program itself, you are more than welcome
to post on the group reflector for discussion.

Best regards,

Xiaopeng

(See attached file: i3e.m)

"William Jones" <wjones@solarflare.com>@majordomo.ieee.org on 01/22/2003