From: pat_thaler@agilent.com
To: bradley.booth@intel.com; stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Sent: 3/25/03 6:56 PM
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] Clauses 22 and 45  (was EFM OAM...)

Brad,

(I changed the subject to better reflect the current topic)

<snip>
The alternative is to move all the Clause 22 functionality into
registers in a Clause 45 device (xxBASE-T PCS?) so that everything could
be managed through that register set.

Is it better to have two different register maps to access management
information for a 1000BASE-T device depending on whether it is packaged
with a 10GBASE-T device or not, or is it better to keep one register map
per PHY type and have ICs supporting old and new PHY types support two
forms of register addressing?

<snip>