RE: [10GBASE-T] PAR and 5 critters

Sreen,

Over the course of last four IEEE 10GBASE-T SG meetings plus
the CFI (Nov. 2002) and through several presentations I have
highlighted the difficulty of realizing a stand alone CMOS ADC
with ~1GS/s and ENOB=11 bits. I have also pointed out the
problem of jitter-limited ENOB that is a result of integrating
four such ADCs along with large number of digital gates on the
same chip.

I have also offered some alternative solutions that involve
implementing part of the signal processing in analog. The
following three bullets are borrowed from Prof. Richard Spencer's
July presentation:

*A mostly digital (DSP) solution will severely tax the sate-of-
 the-art ADC capabilities

*The AFE could include significant equalization to reduce burden
 on the ADC and back end DSP

*The AFE might also include some echo cancellation and/or NEXT
 cancellation

http://www.ieee802.org/3/10GBT/public/jul03/spencer_1_0703.pdf

I agree with you that traditional AFE + DSP approach, in this case,
runs into trouble however, alternative approaches do exist. Some
of these approaches have been successfully applied to high data-rate
read channels.

Regards,

Joseph N. Babanezhad
Plato Labs.