RE: [10GBASE-T] latency

Jonathan,

Firstly, the complexity of the echo/NEXT cancellation in the 10GBASE-T
receiver is affected by the latency requirement.

If the Tx+Rx latency requirement is <100ns, the echo/NEXT cancellers would
need to be implemented in direct form, just as in a 1000BASE-T receiver. In
this case, using the 4DPAM8 proposal as an example, the span of the
cancellers would increase by 8X over 1000BASE-T, AND the clock rate of the
cancellers would also increase by 8X, which means that the complexity of the
cancellers would increase by 64X over a 1000BASE-T implementation.

If the Tx+Rx latency requirement is in the 1us range, then we can use batch
processing techniques to reduce the complexity of the cancellers by an order
of magnitude, to say, 4-6X that of a 1000BASE-T receiver.

Secondly, the coding gain achievable from an error correcting code is a
function of the latency requirement. If the latency requirement is <100ns,
then we would have to restrict ourselves to weak 1000BASE-T type codes,
which means that the complexity of the analog/cancellers would need to
increase to compensate for the lack of coding gain.

If the Tx+Rx latency requirement is in the 1us range, then we can use more
powerful codes and achieve at least 3dB higher coding gain than the
1000BASE-T trellis code.

I hope that answers your questions.

Regards,
Sailesh.

>From: "Jonathan Thatcher" <jonathan@ccser.com>
>To: <stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org>
>Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] latency
>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 02:06:46 -0800
>
>So, is there any gutsy person ready to throw out the latency estimates
>(and,
>ideally, the break outs) for the complex / high power vs the simple / low
>power versions of 10GBASE-T?
>
>At this point, even "order of magnitude" estimates would be helpful. I
>can't
>tell if we are talking 10's of ns or 10's of ms. Depending on the outer
>limits of the range, this entire discussion may be moot (which is the
>essence, I think, of Pat's append below).
>
>jonathan
>
>p.s. There do exist Ethernet switches that transparently support
>cut-through
>switching. RDMA over TOE over Ethernet is one option. There are others.

Click, drag and drop. My MSN is the simple way to design your homepage.