From: Stephen Bates
To: Gavin Parnaby
Cc: stds-802-3-10gbt@ieee.org
Sent: 2/20/04 10:55 AM
Subject: RE: [10GBASE-T] latency

Gavin and Serag

Gavin, thanks for that overview of the PAUSE functionality. One question
I have is does anyone know if PAUSE is implemented end-to-end or
hop-by-hop in an Ethernet connection between source and sink via one or
more switches? Also, what is the primary method of flow control when the
following scenario occurs?

machine A <-- Speed A --> Switch <-- Speed B --> Server

My concern is if speed A is < Speed B (e.g. A=1000BASE-T and
B=10GBASE-T) and we use PAUSE to ensure flow control then 10GBASE-T may
have to include PAUSE. If not then buffers in the switch will overflow
when machine A requests a large amount of data from the server. Perhaps
flow control in a switch with multi-speed ports is handled using
something other than PAUSE? I am assuming this is a low level switch and
TCP is not used to do flow control, is this correct?

<snip>