Re: [10GBT] Issues with solarsep_varlen7a.m

George,

I consider the three issues I brought up still remain.

1.Frequency Base:
Thanks for acknowledging this issue.

2.Folded SNR Calculation:
The folded SNR calculation as done in the matlab code is valid for a T/2
fractionally-spaced Decision Feedback Equalizer. However, the task force has
only been presented with symbol-spaced DFE solutions.

3. SNR Requirement for 1E-12 BER
Thanks for acknowledging this issue.

In your presentation in March '04 (zimmerman_1_0304.pdf) the only favorable
comparison for
3bit PAM vs. 2.5bit PAM occurred on the 100m Class E+ example (slide 9) and
the difference in margin was +0.8 dB.

I would be happy to quantify the magnitude of the margin discrepancy due to
these issues for this example,  if you will provide me the parameters you
used to generate this slide.

Regards,
Sailesh Rao.

>From: George Zimmerman <gzimmerman@SOLARFLARE.COM>
>To: STDS-802-3-10GBT@listserv.ieee.org
>Subject: Re: [10GBT] Issues with solarsep_varlen7a.m
>Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:30:03 -0700
>
>And the magnitude of the difference is?  I believe you will find it is
>small enough not to change the results.
>

>Because the simulation was made to be power-spectrum independent, the
>comment you made about the frequency base and TX power is correct;
>however, however, the effect is small because the system is evaluated
>and limited by impairments proportional to the power spectrum.  If
>background noise were increased, this difference would matter, more.
>Also if you eliminated Alien NEXT,  this effect matters more.
>

>On the folded SNR calculation, however, you are incorrect.  The optimum
>DFE is based on a folded SNR which is the sum of the SNRs, not the sum
>of the signal over the sum of the noise.  You can check either Salz, or
>for a more direct representation, please check Pottie & Eyuboglu, JSAC,
>August 1991, equation 6.
>

>On the SNRs used for 2, 3, & 4 bits, these numbers are close
>approximations, and the difference is small (< .25 dB), but the uncoded
>margin numbers from these equations haven't generally been used.  When
>comparing multiple baud rates, however, the margin y aren't the scaling
>factors used for the margin vs. baud rate graphs.  The graphs are based
>on the information bits per symbol and these are the ones that were used
>in the presentations showing the difference in baud rates.
>

>For coded systems I use the directly computed DFE SNRs and then compare
>them to the SNR required by the coded system.
>

>Sailesh - if you wish to provide refined code, be my guest.
>
>-george

Check out the latest news, polls and tools in the MSN 2004 Election Guide!
http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx