Re: [10GBT] Issues with solarsep_varlen7a.m

George,

Since we are dealing with an alien crosstalk dominated noise environment
with its random phase variations, I didn't consider the possibility of an
analog matched filter prior to the sampler.

Hiroshi (takatori_1_0504.pdf) did not consider 2.5bit PAM as one of the
uncoded alternatives.

I have no issues with Gottfried's analysis (ungerboeck_1_0504.pdf) and I'm
aware that his results were pessimistic for the 100m Cat-6 2.5bit PAM case
because of the large background noise (-135dBm/Hz) used in the analysis.
However, I'm not expecting such large background noise in a practical
10GBASE-T receiver.

Regards,
Sailesh Rao.

>From: George Zimmerman <gzimmerman@SOLARFLARE.COM>
>To: STDS-802-3-10GBT@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
>Subject: Re: [10GBT] Issues with solarsep_varlen7a.m
>Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:24:49 -0700
>
>Glen -
>Thanks for a good description of the key difference.  The optimal DFE
>result includes optimization of filtering prior to baud sampling as well
>as any baud spaced FFE.  As you point out, the folded SNR result is NOT,
>as Sailesh asserts, limited to T/2 spaced FFE systems (that is just one
>way of implementing the optimality for the first fold).  It is well
>known in practice that the SNR on limiting cases can be optimized by
>tuning the front end filter.
>
>On the other hand, the MMSE analysis that Sailesh is assuming assumes NO
>front end filtering prior to baud sampling, and, therefore is inherently
>pessimistic.  Such a design would suffer from aliased noise.  Any real
>system would have a filtering prior to baud sampling.  If we were to
>assume a front-end filter function, why not assume an optimal design to
>get best performance?  This leads us right back to the optimum folded
>SNR relation of the DFE found in the code.
>
>As you also point out, the argument that Sailesh is making is a small
>one.  If I eliminate the folding entirely, the absolute DFE SNR results
>change between approximately 0.1 and 0.2 dB, and the relative values (2
>vs. 2.5 vs. 3 bits/baud/pair PAM) change by 0.1 dB.
>
>Sailesh -
>I hope this answers your folded SNR question.  On your question on the
>March presentation, I'm not sure which parameters you have in question,
>but if you give me a call, I'll be happy to look up whatever information
>you're missing.  The SNR comparison is generated as margin relative to
>capacity, which is scaled relative to 6.02 dB/bit/baud/pair.  This can
>be found in lines 470-494 of the code, not the section you were
>commenting on.  The channel model used is stated in the presentation.
>Previous emails with Samir on the reflector have clarified the
>command-line parameters that correspond to our now-agreed Models 1 2 &
>3. (careful - I recall the first part of the exchange had a sign error).
>A result similar to those from March can be found on Slide 5 of
>mclellan_1_0504, except this one is now for our agreed channel model #1.
>

>I will also point out that the optimality of the lower baud rates is for
>both the longer channels, and that it has been independently presented
>in takatori_1_0504 and Ungerboeck_1_0504, and, at the latter analysis
>(Ungerboeck) comes at the problem from a completely different
>perspective.
>-george

Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 2 months FREE!