Re: [10GBT] Frame delineation in 10GBT

Shimon,

Good point. The "inherent" latency in the standard definition would be
increased by 45.5nS. However any reasonable implementation of 64b/65b
would involve 8 consecutive blocks in order to maintain byte alignment.
What's more, the LDPC implementation will have more than 10 times this
latency and I'm sure that a smart designer would fold the encapsulation
into the error coding so that the latency of the encapsulation will, in
effect, disappear.

I think that you raise an interesting point. Should we specify a minimum
latency through the PHY? A number of people have commented that there
will be tradeoffs in the LDPC implementation that could balance latency
with size/gate count/power. As I understand it, PHYs with different
implementations would be completely interoperable but the latency might
vary by a factor of 3 or more. (IIRC from ~800nS to 2uS for reasonable
implementations of the block codes that we are considering). Others who
know the codes should weigh in on this to say what they think would be a
reasonable requirement.

Hugh.