Re: [10GBT] Discussions on precoder decisions

Hugh,

We reduced the symbol rate on the PAM8 proposal from 1Gs/s to 952.381Ms/s,
recognizing that there is no need to adapt the TH precoder coefficients
during normal operations (please see
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/10GBT/email/msg00947.html ). Therefore,
there is not much difference between 2 and 3 as far as I am concerned.

In any case, I don't believe that we can make the decision on the TH
precoder structure independent of the proposal that it is attached to. For
instance, it is my understanding that the ARMA precoder relies on a spectral
null at fs/2 for its correct operation. This is achieved (approximately) in
powell_1_0704.pdf using a 5th order modified Butterworth low-pass transmit
filter with a 3dB point at fs/4 . There are practical implications of
specifying such a transmit filter in the 10GBASE-T standard that need to be
considered before we decide to use this ARMA precoder in the standard.

The question is how should we make such technical decisions in this task
force? Personally, I believe that the task force should first choose a
complete proposal, and then optionally make perturbations on certain aspects
of that proposal while ensuring that these perturbations don't cause any
technical damage to the rest of the 10GBASE-T system in that proposal.

Regards,
Sailesh.
srao@phyten.com