Re: [10GBT] Question about previous analysis of codes and undetected errors.

Sailesh -
Can you summarize the analysis that led you to determine that the
undetected frame error rate for 1000BASE-T would be so much better than
T2?  How did you account for the multiple errors coming out of the
Viterbi decoder.

A major component of most undetected error analyses referenced to date
relies on looking at the independent error probabilities of individual
bits and therefore taking the 4th power of the BER to get beyond the CRC
distance for data bits.  While 1000BASE-T takes extra pains to protect
the control symbols, data symbols would appear to be governed by the BER
and independence mathematics.  With coded systems, such as 1000BASE-T,
as you know, we get error bursts, so multiple bit errors in a frame are
not independent.  As such, at a first level, it is difficult to see how
the coded 1000BASE-T would have to be "several orders of magnitude"
better than a similar uncoded system with essentially the same line
coding for undetected error rates.

This is of course very important to us in 10GBASE-T, because we are
using a very powerful code, and there are no good references (that I've
been able to find) for predicting the undetected error rate of these
codes.  Simulation is impractical, and even very small undetected error
rates (well beyond what is simulatable) would swamp anything from the
constellation or mapping.

This is the issue I'd left you a voicemail on a few days ago to discuss.

-george