[8023-10GEPON] 10GEPON ad hoc on high split ratio - Task 3.1/3.2/3.3 - TX technology

Dear all,

Maurice (thanks for very detailed comments and suggestions) suggested to divide the Task3 discussion into separate 2 threads. I belive that is a good point.

Here are once again my questions and the answers I received so far. I will use tags with names to indicate comments in the main question body.

1.        The issue of transmitters for OLT and ONU. In the OLT we will probably need to have an externally modulated laser, possibility with a post-amplifier if we want to have increased split ratio at standard transmission distances. What kind of amplification technologies do You see as viable for 10GEPON systems ? EDFA's may proove too expensive, Raman amplifiers are bulky so we are generally left with SOAs, unless I missed something. Does anybody have any data / presentation / would like to prepare a short review of the existing amplification techniques and laser sources for the OLT side ?

 <Marek> I would appreciate some comments for this issue as well. We will have at least to examine the existing and commercially available amplifiers. I think we will not have time to go into examination of new research stage solutions like QD amplifiers etc. </Marek>

2.
The same goes for the ONU side - we need to know what type of lasers we can use in the ONU in the light of the increased loss budget of >= 29 dB for high split ratios and standard 10/20 km transmission reach. Are we limited to ONU side amplifiers or should we rather concentrate on the OLT side preamplifier ? What is Your opinion ?

<Maurice> Quantum efficiency in visible light LEDs, Lasers and other light-emitting optical components is also going up at about 1-2dB/18 months according to some  publications that I have seen.  Again, there are components which could "meet standard in the future if you plan carefully"  Please consult others before casting any numbers in stone.  My numbers may
 be wrong, or there may be a technological roadblock ahead too. </Maurice>

<Marek>In other words, we can be looking at a next generation of laser sources by the completion of 802.3av standard. The question however remains. Is it possible to achieve >=29dB budget without amplifiers at the OLT side. The point here is that the as hoc should examine high split count systems, where the channel insertion loss oscillate around 29dB, meaning that the ONU lasers have to bypass this kind of loss. What do You think is a better solution:
  • application of amplifier at the ONU + lower power laser
  • high power laser at the ONU and no amplifier
  • lower power laser + preamplifier at the OLT</Marek>

Best wishes

Marek Hajduczenia (141238)
(PhD Student - COM RD1)
SIEMENS Networks S.A. - IC