[8023-10GEPON] Asymmetric MII thoughts

Gents,
After Eric’s excellent presentation on Asymmetric Media Independent
Interface I realized that we have at least two interfaces, one for the
OLT and another for the ONU. As I see it we could do this a number of ways
1) Define two bi-directional interfaces;
one Asymmetric MII 1Gb/s ingress 10Gb/s egress for OLT (AMII-L)
the other 10Gb/s ingress 1Gb/s egress for ONU (AMII-U)
2) Define four uni-directional interfaces;
GMII Rx (GMII-R)
GMII Tx (GMII-T)
10 Gigabit Attachment Unit Interface Rx (XAUI R)
10 Gigabit Attachment Unit Interface Tx (XAUI T)
3) Something else?
We also need to agree on naming for these interfaces (my suggestions are
in paren’s above). I’m not wild about AMII-L and AMII/U but it’s better
than AMII-101 and AMII-110. We had similar discussion about naming in
EFM days about the PON Phys, you may want review that work.
I will volunteer to work up a follow-on presentation on how to
slice/dice and reference existing specs as we discussed in Dallas, if we
can come to a timely agreement on how we want to approach this.
Any thoughts?
Duane

begin:vcard
fn:Duane Remein
n:Remein;Duane
org:Alcatel;Systems Engineering
adr;dom:;;2301 Sugar Bush Rd.;Raleigh;NC;27613
email;internet:duane.remein@alcatel.com
tel;work:919 850 6458
url:http://www.alcate.com
version:2.1