From: EffenbergerFrank 73695 [mailto:feffenberger@HUAWEI.COM]
Sent: quarta-feira, 13 de Dezembro de 2006 9:49
To: STDS-802-3-10GEPON@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-10GEPON] FEC Framing Adhoc - upstream synchronization

All,

If everybody thinks it is ok for the data detector to generate the special patterns, then that is fine by me.  It is much more direct.  I introduced the concept of the leader frame because I thought people would get upset about the PCS making up data... if not, then great.

[It is funny - back in the EPON days, I proposed a similar scheme.  It got shot down.  Now, it seems to be in fashion.  Go figure.]

However, keep in mind that the data detector needs to align the FEC coding layer, as well as send the special codes.

I disagree with the concept of doing two-step alignment in the upstream.  While that is great for the downstream, it is pointless in the upstream.  The delimiter gives us alignment to the FEC codeword, which is by definition aligned to the 66 blocks.  Why would we need to do it twice?

Regards,
Frank E.

By the way, do we have a conference call number, yet????