Re: [8023-10GEPON] power budget ad hoc teleconference

Dear Dr. Piehler and Ad hoc members,

I would like to make several comments on your summary about SOA preamps.
in 10G OLT receiver.  To tell the truth, now I feel that non-filtered
SOA preamp. for OLT receiver is not effective and realistic for 10GEPON
upstream.

1. Sensitivity with non-filtered SOA
> 10 Gb/s data presented at the November meeting (3av_0611_spiekman_1.pdf;
> page 19), show that at SOA with no optical filter between the SOA and
> the PIN; can improve the sensitivity of a "bare" by 7 dB.  (These
> results were by no means remarkable (e.g. 8 dB SOA noise figure) and
> similar results can be found in the literature.

In the presentation material referred above (3av_0611_spiekman_1.pdf;
page 19), -27dBm sensitivity is shown as the non-filtered SOA with
80nm 3dB(!!)-bandwidth.
But it shows the sensitivity at the BER of 10-9, which should be
2dB worse at 10-12.  Regarding 1dB polarization dependent gain,
its sensitivity would be -24dBm, which, I believe, is no better than
the APD receiver sensitivity.

2. Receiver dynamic range
> Now plug in whatever numbers you want for 10 and 1.25 Gb/s PIN
> sensitivities - I'll use -18 dBm (10G) and -25 dBm (1.25 Gb/s) - The
> result is a receiver with -32 dBm sensitivity at 1.25 Gb/s and -25 dBm
> at 10 Gb/s.  This by itself is a slight improvement over an APD at 10
> Gb/s (Frank used -24 dBm in his presentation.)  At 1.25 Gb/s sensitivity
> this is > 2 dB better than the critical 29.7 dBm requirement for the
> legacy GE-PON.

I feel somewhat strange in your explanation in the paragraph here.
SOA receiver sensitivity shall be determined by SOA noise, and
cannot be expressed as an additional increment from the PIN receiver
sensitivity.
To avoid the degradation caused by PIN receiver noise, SOA gain should
be selected to adjust SOA output power into the perfect error-free range
of the PIN receiver input, 3 or 4 dB away from 10G sensitivity at BER 10-12.
If you use -18dBm as the 10G sensitivity, PIN receiver input power,
shall be around -12dBm, also considering additional margin for SOA
gain deviation and lifetime degradation.
(I suppose that -27dBm SOA sensitivity in your literature was achieved
on such a similar experiment set-up.)

In the PON system application, almost 20-dB dynamic range is required
for OLT receiver to handle the distance variety of ONUs, their output
power fluctuation, and also different ODN configurations.
As SOA is only a simple fixed-gain block, PIN receiver input also
changes 20dB, up to +8dBm, heavily exceeds the receiver overload.

I believe that high-power optical source development for 10G ONU transmitter
is anyway indispensable, and as it takes years to develop, it is significant
to show optical component suppliers the development target, at this time
of the moment in Draft.1.
I appreciate any comments or discussions.

Best regards,
Hiroshi Hamano
Fujitsu Labs. Ltd.

---
HIROSHI HAMANO         Network Systems Labs.
FUJITSU Labs. Ltd., Kawasaki, 211-8588 JAPAN
TEL: +81-44-754-2641  FAX: +81-44-754-2640
E-mail: hhlsi@flab.fujitsu.co.jp

%% David Piehler <dpiehler@ALPHION.COM>
%% Re: [8023-10GEPON] power budget ad hoc teleconference
%% Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:55:11 -0400